quarta-feira, 16 de julho de 2008

great movies today and before

It has passed 12 p.m. and I've just came back from the Cinematheque Ontario, in downtown, where I saw a wonderful movie. It was my second time there. I knew that there was a cinematheque in Toronto, but I didn't know where it was until last tuesday, when I went there by chance. That day I saw a great movie called Stray Dogs, by Akira Kurosawa, and took the magazine with the screenings calendar. I was curious to see this movie, Ikiru, also by Kurosawa, that would be screened today, but I almost stayed at "home" (in my bedroom in the residence), because I was very tired. But I decided to go and it was the right decision. The film has immediatly became one off my all-time favorites. It's such a beautiful story, shot with such intelligence and sensibility... I fell strange when I go out of a movie theather after seeing a great film like this one. It's almost like if the film is still inside of you, because you keep thinking about it and, at the same time, felling some kind of hapiness for such beauty that you have seen in the screen. You always carry something home - tears, thoughts or smiles. I remember of felling this way in some other times, specially when I go to a movie theater in another country, usually to see some special film, in a rare and good print. I remember, for exemple, when I was in Lisbon and went to the "Cinemateca Portuguesa" a very nince movie theather, to see a film that I had never heard about, but that was announced as a masterpiece. And they were right. The film was "The Cheat", a silence movie by Cecil B. De Mille, and I was completely astonished by the movie, a melodrama that seems they never did again after the sound came. Another experience that I had with silent films happened last year, in Madrid, in Cine Doré (in the picture), a beautiful moive theather from the beginning of the twentieth century that is now maintained by the "Filmoteca Española". They were screening a great retrospective of the american filmmaker Henry King and I went to see one of his most famous silent movies called "Tol'able David". I got completely surprised with the movie. The film touched me so much and I never thought that I would see such a impressive performance by a silent movie actor like the one by Richard Barthelmess as the young boy David. In Paris, the city of lights, of course, I have also seen many great movies, including the first time I saw Buster Keaton's The General or Murnau's Nosferatu. But what I remember most is one night when I decide to go to a small ordinary theather that you entered by a door and had to go down a stair, to see, in a marvellous print, the Ernst Lubitsch's "Une heure prés de toi" (One hour with you). I had had already seen his charming "Merry Widow", with the same enchanting Maurice Chevalier, but this film impressed me for being so lovely and naughty at the same time. For our days of political correctness, the film is so advanced (and it was made in 1932)! Well, I have been talking about my movies experiences around the world, but of course that I have also lived this in Brazil and I can remember as it was today of the day I saw for the first (and, until today, the only) time Murnau's "Sunrise". Truffaut once wrote that this is the most beautiful film of all. I totally agree with him. But there many other masterpieces to be discovered. I'm very happy because I discovered one more today and I can add one more film for this list of special moments that I have lived and an spectator. "Ikiru" (To Live), what a movie...

2 comentários:

martha disse...

I've never heard of this movies...

Don disse...

When I was an undergraduate student at the University of Michigan many years ago, there were dozens of student film interest groups that would put together film series each term -- say, a film noir series, the Sergio Leone westerns, Chaplin, Keaton, Leni Reifenstal, Orson Welles, Bruce Lee, Werner Herzog, the Three Stooges, etc. The groups could use the university lecture halls in the evening. They would charge maybe $2 for the films, and often they would be combined in double features of movies that referred to each other -- Fantasia + Allegro Non Troppo + What's Opera, Doc?, for example, or "Gone With The Wind + "Birth of a Nation," or "A Touch of Evil" + "The Player". At the beginning of each term, you could get from the student government a poster-calendar with all the films for the term plotted in; you'd put it on the wall in the kitchen. I wonder if they still do that, there? It was a great thing.

I know the feeling of coming out of a movie you describe. Sometimes, you are still soaked in the movie's world. One weekend, say, a Woody Allen triple-feature. The next weekend, a Bruce Lee triple feature. A different feeling.