terça-feira, 19 de agosto de 2008

Charles Rennie Mackintosh


Before going to Scotland, I had never heard the name of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. He was a famous Scottish painter, architecture, painter and designer who lived from 1868 to 1928. I went to Glasgow, Scotland’s capital, twice, the first time was last year, and the second just after I arrived Toronto. I went there because of an academic event called Screen Seminar, which was held in the University of Toronto. Mackintosh was born in Glasgow and there there’re many of his works. I could finally know his work and I was fascinated with it. His paintings were influenced by Japanese art and when you see his work you actually realized how ahead of his time he was. You can see his influence, for example, in famous Klimt’s works or even in modernists like Kadinski or Miró. Mackintosh’s famous roses were also art décor avant la letter and still today they look so beautiful. This last time I went to Glasgow I had the opportunity of going to Mackintosh museum, where they recreated the house where he lived. That’s amazing! It’s a pity that we were not allowed to take pictures, because it’s so beautiful. Mackintosh and his wife did all the furniture and decoration of the house and everything combines in such a gracious way. The dinner room’s wall, tables and chairs are all black or dark-brown, and the place looks very comfortable and austere. But when you go upstairs you are chocked with the bedroom that is all white and bright, like you have arrived in heaven. You cannot know how it is just looking at pictures, you must be there, because you can see the light coming from the windows and the effect that it has over the place. Well, there are many other things in Mackintosh’s work that are also very interesting, like his chairs, at the same time symmetrical and unbalanced, and the types that he used to write his name and the name of his works. If you are interested, in Toronto you have a great opportunity to know Mackintosh’s work. If you go to the Royal Ontario Museum, in the third floor where there’s a exhibition about European art, you are going to find a Mackintosh room, which can show a little part of the work of this great artist.

Um comentário:

Don disse...

I'm definitely going to go take a look at that sometime. I don't know much about Mackintosh, but I have heard about what you say about the influence on moderns.

I always think such knowledge can be so useful, in unexpected ways. I have met a few people at York, for example, who have gotten connected with the movie industry in Toronto, and have used their knowledge of things like that to get into art direction, costumes, etc. I met a woman who majored in dance but with an historical focus, so she can recreat dances of the past for period pictures; but then, even more so, I enjoy seeing people take such images out of context for interesting effects in theatre and film -- if they do it intelligently.