segunda-feira, 18 de agosto de 2008

My own Toronto's top 10

When I arrived in Toronto, I bought a guide book called “TOP 10 Toronto”. I have other books of this collection about other cities and I like them very much, because they are small and you can carry them in your pocket. They also have good maps and plenty of informations. In theses books you always have rankings: the 10 best places to eat, the 10 best places to shopping and so on. The first thing you read is the general Toronto’s Top 10. According to the authors, they are ROM, CN Tower, Toronto Islands, AGO, Casa Loma, Distillery Historic District, Ontario Place, Eaton Centre, Hockey Hall of Fame and Niagara Falls.
Now, I’m going to give my opinion about the Toronto highlights and make my own ranking. First of all, I unfortunately couldn’t go the AGO (Art Gallery of Toronto), wich is closed until September or October. Probably it would be in my list if I had been able to go there.
So, my personal top ten list would be:
1 – Toronto Island: I went there with Paula in a sunny day and I liked a lot. It’s a beautiful and peaceful place, with an amazing view of the city. It’s the perfect place to make a pic nic.
2 – CN Tower: It really worth the visit. It has an amazing view and is also something very different and interesting in Toronto’s landscape.
2 – Harbourfront centre – It’s my preferred place in Downtown. It’s good to walk, to ride a bicycle, to see one of the many free concerts that they have there during summer or simply to eat something in the international market.
3 – Rogers centre – I liked very much of going there to see a Blue Jays game, much more than if I went to a much more expensive hockey game. The Canadian football match that I saw there was also fun, especially because they had covered the stadium and it looked very different from the time I went to see a baseball game.
4 – Wonderland – Very fun, although also scaring place. See my other post.
5 – Chinatown and Danforth – very good places to eat good, different and (very important!) cheap food.
6 – Queen Street West and Yonge Street: good streets to just walk by and to window-shopping.
7 – Design stores: You can find some very nice design stores and galleries in Harbourfront centre, Queen Street West or in the Distillery Historic District, where you can buy really nice gifts.
Category “Good, but not that much”
1 – Royal Ontario Museum – nice museum, but not as good as the European greatest museums (Museo del Prado, Louvre, Uffizzi Gallery, National Gallery). The Natural History floor is interesting and kids love it. The third floor has a very good and educational exhibition about European art, explaining the different artistic movements and periods through its furniture collection.
2 – Niagara Falls: To go to the “maid of the mist” boat is really nice, but the rest of the place is not a big deal. The city near the Falls is very, very ugly, and looks like a decadent Las Vegas.

I didn’t go to Casa Loma, Ontario Place or Hockey Hall of Fame, because I was not interested, didn’t have time or money to spend there. I don’t think I will regret that.

Um comentário:

Don disse...

That's a pretty good list. My list of essentials would be more like Chie's, mostly restaurants (well, bars, too). The Victory Cafe, Grapefruit Moon, Allen's and Dora Keogh, the Gimme a Squeeze Juice Bar on Hampton just off the Danforth, Hemingway's, the Duke of York, The Future Bakery, Pho Hung on Spadina. There are also Kensington Market (and Oxford Fruit) and the Distillery District -- where they will have Buskerfest this weekend . . .